31 July 2019

The favourite bite

When we were younger, my sister used to save her favourite item for last. The best side of a slice of cake, the sweetest part of a watermelon, or perfectly-shaped piece of fruit.

I was the opposite. I would eat my favourite bite first, without spoiling it by being full, or running the risk of someone stealing it from me.

In the resulting years, my sister would hoard her Easter chocolates, Halloween candy, and other such goodies for months and months, tempting me, the one who ate all her candy within the first week. I would be tempted to steal a piece (I did once or twice), and always asked her why she wasn't eating it. It's too pretty. I'm saving the packaging.

Cut to several months later, when such items were well beyond their best before date, she would come to me and ask if I wanted some of her stashed loot.

This has taught me a few things; it is good to save some things for later, but not to keep them away until they've gone stale and unwanted. So, I now save my favourite bite for about one-third of the way through my meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment