11 May 2019

Wandering around downtown



The original plan was to head to High Park for cherry blossom viewing, an activity I haven't partaken in for the last several years. The night before, there was news that peak bloom would be about 4 days later, but we decided to chance it anyways.

We weren't expecting rain, but the whole morning was misty and we were thoroughly damp wandering through the park. As we were walking towards the trees, a lady leaving the area informed the group ahead of us that there were no blossoms, only buds.





Cold, damp, and starting to get paranoid about mosquito bites, we headed back to the main road in search of food. As our place of choice (read: Dan's, but I was game) was not yet open, we wandered around a few shops, picking up random odd and ends, and trying on make-up in the old theatre-turned Shoppers. I used to come to Runnymede often a few years ago, but it's been years since I've been back, and it was nice revisiting old haunts.



Hopping back on the subway, we stopped at our next destination: the OCADU Grad Show, another local spring even that I have been missing more often than not over the past few years.




Dan's favourite kitschy maximalist decor.






Art. We were tired after the morning and settled into a dim room to watch some confusing videography that made us sleepier...





Is there anything more disappointing than a fake cake?



We enjoyed the top floors the most, as is the norm for my friends and I - graphic design and industrial design students did not disappoint.

I tell myself not to take their business cards each time and end up failing. This year, a lot of the graduates had stickers for the taking as well.



We settled in at an old favourite bubble tea shop, and after nearly getting bamboozled, I finally ended up with my old favourite drink and rejecting some free treats. A weird experience, but it has safely retained its spot on my favourite list.

A good day ends with a good doughnut (and unpictured shawarma that was of questionable satisfaction). Who are the best at wandering around, doing nothing substantial but still having a great time? Yeah, that's us.



1 comment:

  1. THAT US.
    Very good day. The best is when you just let the city decide what you should do.

    ReplyDelete