30 May 2019

Fox Glacier to Wanaka

Sunsets are always romanticized, but I personally have always been a lover of sunrises. However, I realized why people like sunsets - you're already awake, and often in a place where the sunset is accessible. For sunrises, you have to wake up when its still dark and chilly outside, bundle up and wait amid the mosquitoes for the sun to peek over the horizon.






So I've revised my statement. I love sunrises, but when I'm already at a place where I can wake up, sit outside in my pajamas and enjoy the view. Getting ready to go out, drive, and hike to a destination at 4am is painful.







After the sun had decidedly risen, we headed back into town to eat breakfast and pack our bags.




Another hike up to Fox Glacier. The walk was filled with sunshine and precarious trails. The path was similarly covered with small rocks, but there were some steep areas, that made it easy to slide and fall without even realizing. A pregnant lady fell beside me trying to walk down, despite her partner's best attempts at steadying her.




Twenty years ago, the glacier stretched nearly halfway through the path. It is retreating at an alarming rate, and in 2016, the century-old tradition of hiking the glacier that descended from the mountains into the rainforest had to come to an end.







After Canada's glaciers, and yesterday's Franz Josef Glacier, I was a little surprised to see the Fox Glacier in spring. From this view, it looks nothing like what I would have expected.






Our next stop was at the Blue Pools in Makarora.






There were many people diving from the side of the cliffs into the deep pools. It still makes me entirely too anxious to watch them comfortably, knowing they are narrowly avoiding smashing into the rocks around them.




Back on the road.







The last stops at The Neck and Lake Hawea lookout before we drove into Wanaka.








We checked in, dropped our luggage off at our hostel with the view of the lake and mountains.





Lake, mountains, forests, grassy fields; this place was taken straight out of my childhood dreams. After wandering around the lakefront, we grabbed dinner at Water Bar Wanaka, where I took advantage of their steak night special.





Pretty cotton candy-coloured skies on our walk back.

No comments:

Post a Comment