2 September 2020

Back to Busan


Even (or maybe especially so) on holiday, I awaken early. I enjoyed the sunlight streaming through the courtyard into our doors before deciding to get ready.



With the majority of Seoul not awakening as early as I, we had decided last night to grab some food at a convenience store and then have a proper lunch after our errands. However, I decided to search for cafes nearby, and found one that was opening at 7am. 




We had actually passed Cafe Onion on our way to our guesthouse, but I was too distracted with wheeling my luggage and not getting lost, that I had not noticed the hanok-style outpost of the popular cafe. 



After breakfast, we headed to a nearby bank to exchange a suitable amount of money for street food, transportation, and other smaller purchases.




We passed by Gyeongbuk Palace on the way back, and decided to pop by again for a quick peep inside. This marks 3/3 visits to Seoul where I had also been to the palace. 

I stopped at a nearby convenience store to grab my delayed first (of the trip) banana milk and loaded up my transportation card. A quick glance of their offerings revealed that no certain coveted T-money cards were available at this location.


We decided to take the bus to Seoul Station. I don't think I've ever spent the first 24 hours in Seoul without using the subway before, but with our large luggages, the idea of traipsing up and down the subway entrances was not exactly pleasant.


While neither of us were particularly hungry, Ranee decided to order jjajangmyun at the food court as we had time to kill and three hours before the prospect of more food.




Once again, I was on the train to Busan. Having learned my lesson, this trip was a lot more enjoyable than the last, and being that it was daytime, we were able to enjoy the views of the cities and countryside we passed by as we travelled south.




We arrived in Busan in the mid-afternoon, and quickly made our way to our accommodation to drop off our luggage.



The decor above our bed had some questionable quotes... you may be able to see some of them above.



We paid a visit to Gamcheon Culture Village as the sun began to set; the hunt for hotteok was ultimately unsuccessful, but thankfully, the eomuk store was still open.




It was sunnier and less crowded than my visit last year, in part due to it not being a holiday, and the later hour. We browsed some shops, picked out some postcards, and met some friendly cats.






As the sun began to set, we slowly made our way back to the bus stop.



I ended up purchasing a pin pictured here... 





I was spoiled last time with taxi rides, but lacking the funds, communication, and cellphone number needed to call a cab, we waited for the bus to bring us back to the subway. We picked up some favourites (marked up 10-20x here) and a few vitamin shots for my worsening sore throat.



Having thoroughly enjoyed my first proper meal last year in Busan, I decided to once again repeat history, though with a different restaurant as we were staying in a different area. The restaurant owner was very enthusiastic about us eating right as the items were placed in front of us, and took my spoon to give me a taste of 새우젓, which I like to use sparingly and never recommend eating plain. Reluctantly taking the spoonful she held in front of my mouth, she chuckled at my expression as my dining partner thanked the stars she escaped the same treatment.



With an early morning train trip planned, we headed back to our hotel and called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment