3 August 2019

If I told you a story, would you believe it?

I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking, and thinking about what I've been reading.
Do children get bored? An out-of-their-mind, have-nothing-to-do kind of boredom?

I grew up without my extended family nearby, so the children of my parents' friends were our adopted extended family. I was by far the youngest in the group, and therefore deemed 'a kid',  and left alone with the adults during gatherings. The adults would talk about things such as taxes, the quality of groceries, and other topics that did not interest me in the slightest. I always wondered why; there were so many things to do, so many things to play with, so many adventures to be had! Why did they sit around the dinner table and talk of such common things? I didn't understand adults.

As a kid, I stood on the field of my school, and as I took a deep breath in, the ground below me started to move further away. As long as I held my breath, I would continue to rise higher towards the sky, until I could clearly see the whole field below me. Once at a comfortable height, I could breathe again and began to move around and explore the new world above the one I lived in.

This wasn't an isolated instance. There were many times I decided to just stop and stand still, holding my breath. Time and time again, I began to move further away from the ground, even when there were others around me. They stared up at me as I continued my ascent upwards - I would continue rising until I reached my comfortable height.

Did these things really happen? Were you dreaming? You're delusional... just crazy. These are the questions and comments I feared when I remembered the feeling of flying, years later. What is real, and what is imagination? Scientifically and physically speaking, it is quite clear. Sensations, however, are harder to explain. Even when suddenly recalling this 'memory' when I was older, it was hard to dismiss the intense feelings and clear, distinct recollection of the feeling of holding my breath and seeing the fields on which I spent many recesses.

My imagination walked a fine line and allowed me to never be bored when I was younger. I definitely changed when I entered high school, and my social circle began expanding. Growing older also meant more freedom, and freedom meant a lot less time spent by myself at home, alone with my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment