25 September 2017

Hallo Deutschland: Berlin

Day 13 & 14

I have been wanting to go to Germany for years. I even began learning German on my phone via Duolingo and once the ticket was booked, I promptly stopped...

The first order of business was lunch at House of Small Wonder - read more about it here.

Brandenburg Gate was the first stop, where I finally had to swap memory cards. Sadly, the nearby Reichstag roof was fully booked during our time here, but I highly recommend going. Just remember to book in advance!








We visited the Holocaust Memorial, or the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. It was easy to get lost in this labyrinth, and the attached information was very sobering; it might be hard to think of the turmoil that had plagued the land of yesteryear, and the danger of history repeating itself.

Half the party caught an orchestra, while I was the other half who had pork knuckle, spaetzle, and €7.5 water.





The second day began at the remains of the Berlin Wall. We spent a long time reading the many stories of people who survived, and many more of those who did not. I knew a lot about WWII prior, as I always gravitated towards books that spoke of the Great Wars, but I never paid too much attention to the history of the Cold War until the visit to the wall.

While walking around the Berlin Wall, we encountered a few young men who came up to talk to you while their friends tried to rifle through your pockets and bags while you were distracted. Once you noticed, they scattered. The occasional police presence wasn't enough to deter them, as I saw them come back several times to try their luck on another unsuspecting tourist.

Berlin Cathedral was very grand, and when we went up to the Dom, you could really see the crazy Aprilwetter. The sky changed from cloudy, to light rain, to burning hot sun in a span of twenty minutes. It was really a sight to behold.









Dinner was a very casual affair of currywurst and schnitzel. When walking to Curry 36, we saw a crazy line outside a food truck... and after a little debate, we decided to wait in it. This was the line for Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap, and though the line didn't look too terrible, it moved incredibly slowly. We waited for two hours, and while I will say the Döner was delicious, absolutely nothing is ever warranted that long of a wait.







No comments:

Post a Comment