21 June 2019

Vending machines in Tokyo

One of the things I noticed upon my first few days in Tokyo was the abundance of vending machines. Not just confined to indoor spaces, vending machines lined the outside of convenience stores, alleyways, car park garages; just about anywhere there was a few extra feet of space, a vending machine was plopped in place.



Vending machines weren't limited to dispensing drinks and snacks. They sold all kind of imaginable and unimaginable things, but my favourite were the ones outside restaurants that printed tickets. You would order your food and pay through the machine, and it would dispense your food ticket. You enter the restaurant, hand your ticket to the chef, and in no time, your food would be placed in front of you.

Quite honestly, my mind immediately went to a post-apocalyptic theory, that will perhaps see the light of day in another form. I found the plethora of vending machines fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment