30 June 2019

The flooded island

A visitor from the other side of the pond (the other, other side) came to visit, and seeing that the summer solstice called for a full day of sun, I suggested we head to Centre Island for some cycling fun.




Alas, the news of the flooded island had somehow not reached my ears, so we were a bit surprised at the 'road closures' and 'open water ahead' signs, but decided to power through. 




Oh, what a mistake that was. There were a few cyclists stopped at a break in the water, and they warned that the water was knee-deep. After observing a car ploughing through, I inadvertently got soaked after managing to stay dry earlier (by not pedaling through the water as my friend carried the team), I decided to give up. We both tied our soaked shoes to the quadracycle, and continued through.





A break in the trees allowed us to glimpse the brilliant blue water; the exact hue was not captured by my camera, but it was a mix between a light turquoise and a sunny blue sky.




We reached Hanlan's Point after many delays, and walked along the half-sunken pier to enjoy the city skyline.





On the way back, the water had gotten noticeably warmer, and a less-than-fragrant smell was arising from the muddy waters.




We made it back to the rental area, and continued on towards Ward's Island. After pedaling through more warm water, we decided to join the other quadracycles on the boardwalk.





I added a fresh sprig to our dash.




The houses on Ward's Island are so beautiful. Each is quaint, with its own character and they all remind me of the houses I would read about in books. I didn't photograph them, but I did snap some photos of the streets.




After 2.5 hours of cycling, we returned our rental and headed to the beach to dry off. We laid in the sun until my back was burning, and retreated to the shade of the trees, leaving our wet footwear on the sand.



A quest for hydration and an impromptu call to a Dutch resident later, we landed ourselves in Pai, where we waited for a decent while and then proceeded to order way too much food.

No comments:

Post a Comment