29 November 2018

Bukhansan

The original plan was to arrive at Bukhansan early in the morning to avoid as much of the crowds as possible... but the unexpected late night led to last minute changes. I grabbed a convenient breakfast yet again, and managed to get to the base around 9am, where I couldn't resist buying more kimbap from the many stalls there.

\


There was a good amount of people at the park when I arrived, and I presumed the majority would be going to Baegundae, the highest peak of Bukhansan. I didn't want to waste any time, and quickly started up the path towards the peak.





It was all paved roads going up to the base, and a couple of washroom stops before beginning the ascent up. It was here I discovered an unfortunate situation, but once again, I was determined to carry on and think of the consequences later.









It has mostly been stairs made of rocks up until this point, and I was about to file Bukhansan away as a less intense Stawamus; but soon after, the path started getting a little more difficult, and I put away my camera to focus on the trail.



After seeing this view, the trail became noticeably steeper and the path more narrow.





When I got close to the top, I saw a line snaking its way up alongside the handrails; I was under the impression that the trail continued, but the narrow path held up the line. After waiting for awhile, I realized that there was a photozone at the top, with the South Korean flag and a rock stating the elevation of Baegundae.







There were plenty of people eating lunch at the top, as it was around noon when I arrived. I also settled down and ate my lunch overlooking the view from the top. Halfway through, a cat casually sauntered over looking for scraps, but just as quickly left when they realized no one was sharing.







The view is seriously breathtaking from the top. You can see the city of Seoul below and people climbing other peaks in the surrounding mountain range all at once. The peak is so narrow it gives you the feeling that you are on top of the world.








Autumn is probably one of my favourite times of the year for hiking; the land is usually pretty dry, temperatures not unbearably hot or cold, and there is plenty of beautiful foliage to be seen.





I had been sweating on the hike up, due to clothing unsuitable for rigorous activity. Despite the bright sun, the breeze started to turn my damp clothes cold, and I decided to start my wobbly legs on their descent down.




Thus began my descent down, sans camera in hand. I realized that every stop reminded me of how gelatinous my legs felt, and hoping to prevent the knee-buckling experiences of the past, I continued my descent without stopping.

I was pretty beat after this hike, and stopped by Lotte Mall Eunpyeong quickly before heading back to Hongdae. A shower and kimbap later, I found myself on the streets of Hongdae completing my friends' shopping requests, and catching a few performances of my favourite bands in the meantime.

When I got back, skillful maneuvering was needed to fit all the new items in my bag; my bunkmate made me a cup of tea and I fell asleep after doing my best at packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment