7 April 2019

Reflecting on mono.

mono. I love this mixtape playlist. I was in Hong Kong when it was announced, to the surprise of everyone, and I was just about to drift to sleep two days later when it dropped. I sleepily put my headphones in, loaded the forever rain music video that was released at the same time, and fell asleep to the sound of rain.

The next morning, I loaded the album on Spotify, and decided to listen while we were on the subway. It was quite difficult to fully understand/appreciate over the loud noises of the MTR, and all I really got from my quick listen was that it was quite mellow, and that he sang a lot more than I had anticipated - the rap portion of his discarded stage name no longer was one of his defining points. I faithfully tried listening whilst on the plane to New Zealand, but that was also not the ideal setting. So it wasn’t until about two days later that I was able to listen to it in peace and quiet, and it honestly made me feel quite emotional. For the next few days, I listened to it nonstop while spending many hours in the car on our trip through the country.


This playlist really spoke to me, offering a bit of therapeutic sadness. One of my friends told me she was hesitant to listen to it because it was just so depressing; honestly, it is a little sad, but I don’t see it simply as wallowing in sadness. It makes me feel emotions that I usually try to keep suppressed, and the fact that he feels them as well to the point that he created these songs to talk about the highs and lows of life, the love and hate you may feel towards the things that are so important to you, the temporary state of things, whether good or bad, and the knowledge that you must accept yourself in order to move forward in life.



I wanted to write a more in-depth analysis of each song, but I'm not quite ready for it yet. It may be coming sometime in the near future... pt. 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment