2 August 2017

Living like a local

Day 3

My favourite type of trip is actually going somewhere I've already been before; the feeling of being somewhere different yet familiar.

I often find that the first time I travel somewhere, there is an urgency to see all the sights, eat all the food, and power through a jam-packed day. The second visit is when the urgency disappears, and I can settle in and see all the spots that didn't make the cut the first time around, as well as revisit my favourite spots. I can sit down at a cafe to relax and not feel guilty that I'm wasting time, and I usually end up enjoying myself more.




Another one of my favourite things to do is check out the local supermarket. I find it endlessly intriguing to see what they sell, how they're set up, and trying interesting items.

That being said, I spent a very slow and relaxing day before gearing up for some solo travel around new cities.

We headed to the market area on our bicycles. For a relatively new learner, I actually love bicycling when there are separated lanes, and in Amsterdam, bicycles rule over cars, and even pedestrians. Nothing really beats Dutch cycling infrastructure.

I also discovered a few Dutch foods that I love; tompouce, which is like a mille-feuille but without those pesky other layers of pastry, and Heks Nkaas. This spread from the grocery store, paired with fresh bread from aforementioned store, made for the most delicious meal. Nothing beats just tearing apart a baguette and dipping it in Heks Nkaas... Words fail to describe how delicious this was.



After walking to the ferry to make sure I could navigate the path at 5am in the morning, we made our way home. A bottle of wine was awaiting us at the door; a thank you from the management for the noise from the filming happening next door.

We were pretty full so we ended up having a very late meal; Florence made her own version of Stamppot!

No comments:

Post a Comment