12 March 2019

Walk into the past

This past summer, we drove to Niagara-on-the-Lake for the Lavender Festival. The festivities took place next to an antique store adorned with furniture on the outside. When we left the festival, I decided to explore more while others were browsing the lavender shop.



Antique shops always help a certain intrigue to me, but they are rare to come by back home.





I grew up with my nose always buried in a book, and one of my favourite authors was from an bygone era. As I read these books, I could only imagine what life was like a century ago. All the imagining I did couldn't conjure up items that I had no reference for, so when I learned to harness the powers of the world wide web, I searched for the flowers, clothes, and food mentioned in my favourite novels.






The interior of the shop was chock-full of furniture, each piece of which was covered with knick-knacks. The air was devoid of the musty smell that accompanies many secondhand shops, and items were organized to give the appearance of an overdecorated living room.






The two items that tempted me the most: the teacup sets and the film cameras. I had to exercise extreme self-restraint, and it would be a lie if I said there were no lingering regrets.







They carried quite a few books from the Little Leather Library - while I may have resisted for myself, Friendship and Other Essays was procured for someone.




This was one of the neatest antique stores I had ever visited, and every item was in good repair. For the most part, prices were not unreasonable, though "one man's trash is another man's treasure" could definitely be said of some items. Unfortunately, time has run out, and Google now lists the store as closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment