10 March 2019

Lamma Island

The idea of being able to hop on a ferry and land on island has always seemed so incredible to me. To offer a local, albeit shoddy comparison, the short journey to Centre Island from downtown Toronto gets me excited. The scale of this is much greater in Hong Kong, with the many outlying islands; so on a free afternoon, my mom and I decided to pay a visit to Lamma Island.


After a breakfast of congee, we headed to Central and decided to take the ferry to Sok Kwu Wan.



There were many dogs, both feral and domesticated, running around the island. They liked to congregate in dry harbour, running and basking in the sun.



I mentioned some of our food woes here, but hands-down, this freshly made mango mochi was one of my favourite items.


There was a helicopter circling back and forth, distributing water from the harbour to the top of the mountain below.




As the elevation increased, the wind began to pick up, and without warning, my hat blew off my head as we were crossing a bridge. It landed in the ditch below, so I had to scale the edge of the bridge and jump down - cactus hat must be saved at all costs.





The magical bowl of noodles that I craved on every hike I went on afterwards. This was the most rewarding part of the day.





The damage from the typhoon was still very visible on the island, as with many other less densely populated places in Hong Kong.




As we neared Yung Shue Wan, more shops and restaurants began popping up. I would suggest going to the port of Yung Shue Wan instead of Sok Kwu Wan if you wanted lunch before walking across the island, as Sok Kwu Wan only had restaurants offered seafood fare.





We hopped back on the ferry to Central, and then took the Star Ferry to Tsim Sha Tsui. I purchased some more items from Innisfree at FACESSS, and witnessed the craziness of shopping tourism firsthand. People wheeled large suitcases through the mall, filling them with the many brand name products Harbour City had to offer.




We had dinner at a family friend's house near Ho Man Tin; I haven't explored much of Kowloon, so it was interesting to feel the different vibes of the area... and take one of the newest extensions of the MTR.

No comments:

Post a Comment