28 February 2019

A long weekend in Muskoka

Winter is usually a time for hibernation; asides from the somewhat-annual snowboarding trip or visit to the skating rink, we tend to keep our activities indoors after the Christmas season.




This year was already a little different. We went to Blue Mountain twice, for skating and snowshoeing respectively, and decided to combine the activities during the long weekend. Tubing was unfortunately cut out of previous trips, due to the meager little hill offered at Blue Mountain, we we were eager to visit the tubing hill in Arrowhead Provincial Park.

On Saturday morning, we headed out on the road after lunch. During a coffee stop at Tim Hortons, I was tempted to get a red velvet muffin to accompany my first roll up the rim cup, but decided against it as we were likely going to visit Tim Hortons again for our breakfast the next day. RUTR: 0/1.




After arriving at our pet-friendly motel, we dropped off our bags and headed to the Lionshead Lookout trail. I carried Tofu in backpack, and he enjoyed the bumpy view as we hiked with our snowshoes up the hill.

Here is a miserable-looking creature.





The sun broke through the gloom of the clouds for a little while, and we walked a little on the frozen lake, which reminded me of a year ago, in Yellowknife. We wanted to trek to the little Alice Island, but there were signs warning to stay right of the poles that lined the perimeter of the lake, so we decided not to risk it.




I returned to our motel with Tofu while the rest of the group headed to dinner. He ate his dinner while I awaited mine. When my dinner of Kashmiri Dum Aloo from Marigold arrived - after they ran out of half of their menu - they must have also ran out of takeaway utensils.



The next morning, we woke up bright and early to ensure we made to the park before all the parking was taken. I was informed that the motel's complimentary breakfast consisted of Tim Horton's muffins, and there was one red velvet one left. I instantly bounced out of bed and ran downstairs.

Once we arrived at the park, we were informed that the tubing hill was closed, and had been closed the entire season. Disappointed, we began our day by donning our snowshoes and hiking around Stubb's Falls.








After completing the loop, we ventured over to Mayflower Lake.





Thoroughly hungry, we stopped at a warm-up area to recharge. As it would not possible to skate with Tofu, I stayed back until someone came back to swap with me.





The skating trail is a good distance, and took me around seven minutes to finish one loop. I was about to end on an even ten, but I was caught in the crowds, so I skated around once more so I end on an enjoyable note - and promptly tripped and fell in front of a large group of people. So yes, I ended up skating around once more to alleviate the embarrassment.





I warmed up with another drink from Tim Hortons - RUTR: 0/2. Tofu and I were dropped off at the motel once again, and I awaited my dinner of fish and chips from Lake of Bays Brewing Co.



We awoke even earlier the next morning, for no apparent reason. I headed downstairs and claimed another red velvet muffin.



We left our motel and headed to Snow Valley to try our luck at tubing once again. On our way through Barrie, we stopped at Stacked Pancake House for a bite to eat.



When we arrived at Snow Valley shortly after noon, the crowded parking lot confirmed our worst fears: there was a wait time of two and a half hours for tubing. Scorned for the third time, we decided to forego tubing and headed back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment