8 October 2018

A weekend at Blue

I think we had been floating the idea of an overnight trip to Blue Mountain since high school.... well, it finally happened!



We left Friday night and ordered a pizza to tide us over for the ride up. I was already listening to certain music (the start and hook of Spotify Premium) by then, and could only distinctively recognize the monster's voice.

We arrived and as the second last group to arrive, the bunks were mostly called for. We decided to take the room that opened out to the living room below (read: noisy), and unpacked our things.



We all woke up pretty early, and I wasn't actually the first up - but I was the first to start cracking (eggs). We would later realize we severely overestimated the amount of food we could tuck away, but our first breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, and Disney Princess waffles commenced.




We all headed to the slopes, and our group walked way too far with our equipment before realizing we had long passed the chalet. Lift tickets and rentals were obtained, and we went off to find the rest of the group.

The weather had warmed considerably in the previous days, and the effects were definitely felt on the hills. The snow was icy and continued to melt throughout the day, and I got "winded" early on when I fell forward downhill.




We decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to go down a blue hill after a couple of hours, and we learned our lesson. Even when sitting, I would slide down the hill. We stopped halfway to enjoy the view, and then feathered down the rest of the way.




I sincerely still cannot carve after all these years; fear has built up. I promise I'll try again during better snow conditions!

Some of the ski renters switched the snowboards after lunch, and we all fell together. Some of the group had retired to the chalet and were in the sauna; so we decided to head home and nab the showers before the crowd.




I think we called seven different places to try and find a restaurant that had space available for a party of eleven, and the best response we received was to come in and wait. A group of us hit up the town for supplies before heading over to the Iron Skillet, where they boasted an impressive collection of hot sauce and served large portions of comfort food.




A night of karaoke ensued, and early birthday celebrations. The rest of my camera roll is filled with variable levels of singing and people falling asleep.

The next morning, I woke up and tried my hand at making coffee with slightly disastrous results.... but I fixed it for the next round! They said it was passable (this was before my iced coffee obsession this summer), and that is all the validation needed. I don't know how I survived all those years at my faculty's coffee shop...



Less-than-ideal slope conditions had the majority of us choosing to stay in; this is how we kept tabs on those who took to the hills.

Unfortunately, the warm weather meant that many other outdoor activities were unavailable. We spent our time eating, playing games, and cleaning up.




This is what a windshield looks like after driving through rapidly melting snow. Until next time, Blue Mountain! Let's meet again in chillier conditions.







No comments:

Post a Comment