11 January 2018

Thicker than water

I don't necessarily subscribe to the belief that family comes first. A lot of people are often surprised and a bit disgusted when I say so, but blood relations do not make a family. Adoptions, blended families, friends who are closer than family... there are so many mixes that can make a family. Being related by blood may mean we can never properly sever ties, but I don't believe in forcing a family with people who antagonize and attack you yet expect you to be there for them unconditionally.

Family is those who you love and who love you for who you are. They accept you as you are yet want you to grow and constantly improve yourself, and hope that you do the same for them. There are misunderstandings, there can be arguments, sometimes you may say things you regret, but at the end of the day, you want what is best for them.

Yet, society makes me feel guilty for not unconditionally loving my blood family.

No comments:

Post a Comment