3 December 2015

Rediscovering Hong Kong


I first went to Hong Kong when I was a small child, and the memories I have are of a see-saw at a park, where my sister and her friend both sat on one end, and let me dangle in the air alone. I also remembering having 油炸粿 (yau za gwei) with congee for the first time with my grandpa, who had a stroke twenty years prior and would eat little else besides that.

I should mention that this was also the time of the avian flu and I distinctly remembering covering my nose while passing my caged chickens all along the streets. After that, my sister flatly refused to go back to Hong Kong, and I, ever the follower, decided the same.




Victoria Peak, 2011

So suffice to say, when I went back to Hong Kong in 2011, I was blown away by how much I liked the city. Many of my close friends also went back at the same time, and meeting up halfway across the world is definitely a surreal experience. Unfortunately, I was sick before and during our trip, so I was unable to eat a lot of delicious food, or go to a lot of places.

So this time, I was determined to make the most of my experience. Two days after the last final of my undergrad, I had packed up all my things, moved back home, packed my suitcase and hopped on a plane for Hong Kong. And it was glorious.


The last time I came back, I saw a lot of the city life, and while I enjoyed it, it felt one-dimensional, and I only remembered the crowded streets and bustling night life. This time I was able to explore the some of the mountainous regions, the more 'countryside', and the surrounding islands. There is definitely a lot more I wanted to see, but time restraints, getting sick (again), and typhoon season got in the way.





I'm already planning my next trip back - I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment